Tips on how to take care of your jewelry
Whether it’s fine or costume jewelry, there’s always a sentimental reason behind every piece of jewelry you buy, and you’ll want to wear it forever. Here are some quick and easy tips on how to take care of your jewelry to prevent tarnishing, scratches and dullness for lasting beauty
- Keep it away from wood:
- Avoid leaving your jewelry on chemically treated surfaces or on wood which can stain or speed up the tarnishing process.
- Keep it in a ziplock bag:
- Over time, your jewelry comes in contact with moisture and air which causes it to eventually tarnish. Put it in a ziplock bag and squeeze out all the air before sealing.
- Put your pieces on rotation:
- Jewelry isn’t meant to be worn 24/7, give it a break and show some love to other pieces of jewelry.
- Do not use toothpaste:
- That home remedy is too abrasive and will damage your jewellery in the long run.
- Apply nail polish:
- For costume jewelry, try applying a thin layer of clear nail polish on any part of the jewelry that comes into contact with your skin to avoid allergies
- Avoid Swimming with the Jewelry:
- Paper Jewelry will withstand daily wear including light, sweat, splashes of water but is not 100% water-proof so please don’t go swimming or into the shower with them!
- If the product does get in contact with water, wipe it with a paper napkin, then allow it to air dry naturally and it will return to its original condition.
- As with all precious jewelry, carefully store your paper jewelry.
- Store your silver with chalk:
- Chalk absorbs moisture, or if you find that dusty, invest in some dehumidifiers or silica packs.
- Keep your jewelry dry and away from skincare:
- Don’t wear your jewelry then apply lotions, perfume or hairspray. Never wear silver jewelry when you go swimming or at the sauna.
- Avoid leaving it in sunlight:
- The color of gemstones will become dull when exposed to too much light.
- Keep gold jewelry separately from silver jewelry:
- Gold scratches easily, so keep them in individual soft cloth bags or the original boxes they came it.
- Give it a wipe:
- At the end of the day, wipe your jewelry with a anti-tarnish cloth before storing it away. This will make sure any lingering moisture, oils or dust is gone.
- Use dishwashing soap and warm water:
- For pieces that are dull, filmy, or starting to discolor, mix a few drops of mild dish soap with warm water and rub the jewelry with a soft cloth. Rinse in cool water and buff with a cloth until dry.
- Give your jewelry a no-soak treatment:
- For pearls and other porous stones, use a small makeup brush dipped in shampoo and water to clean. Use a damp cloth to wipe the pearls